Saturday, May 10, 2014

Saturday Day Date

Today Simon and I went on a much needed date. It has been a while since we went on one. It is kind of weird because we are together all the time, but a date makes things feel different. I think they are needed in every relationship. I planned the date today. There is an awesome exhibit at the Brigham Young University Museum of Art that I went to a previous time I was down in Provo and I really wanted Simon to see it. It is called the "Sacred Gifts" exhibit and it took 12 years to organize. The exhibit hosted religious pictures done by three artists: Heinrich Hofmann, Carl Bloch, and Frans Schwartz.

When you first get there they have you watch a 7 minute video about how the exhibit came about. Most of these paintings have never left their original home and probably never will again after the exhibit is over. It is really quite extraordinary how they BYU got permission to get these art pieces from their respective countries of origin. You can learn more about it and see the full gallery online by going here.

There were so many amazing pieces there, but this one by Frans Schwartz is my favorite, it is called "Agony in the Garden":


I believe the book of Luke is the only book that references an angel being present with Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. I love this detail of Christ's journey and it serves as a reminder that angels help us as well. I am saving up to buy a canvas print of this picture.

After the exhibit I let Simon choose where he wanted to go for lunch. This is rare because I am pretty picky and usually just want one of two things- Texas Roadhouse or Cafe Rio. We branched out though and tried a new place called "Wild Mustang Grill and Bakery." Of course I didn't really like it, but Simon was satisfied. 


After lunch we decided to stop by and visit my sister Kira and her family. We weren't planning on staying very long, but ended up having a nice afternoon with her, Jeff, and their two kids (Jeffrey and Eve). We even went to Costco with them for dinner. We had a great time. Here are some pictures from the afternoon and dinner:

Jeffrey showing us his turtle moves


Hitting the couch cushion

Sad because he thought his nunchucks broke

Kira pretending to feed Eve pizza

Eve, Kira, Jeff, and Jeffrey

1 comment:

  1. I love that exhibit. It was amazing. The one you pointed out was one of my favorites too. Also, Heffrey crying about his nunchucks is kind of hilarious.

    ReplyDelete