Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Surviving My First Day At A New Job

I couldn't sleep last night. I don't blame it completely on my double ear infection because I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway. 6:15am was way too early. The last time I woke up that early it was to travel somewhere cool (I know I am spoiled). But I bit the bullet and got up and ready for work.

I am a bit of an obsessive freak, so of course I read a bunch of articles yesterday about tips for your first day at a new job. Here are a few of the articles I read... nothing really new, but a few good reminders: ForbesBusiness Insider, and Linked In.

Once I got to work, I really wasn't trained on anything. The girl who met me was nice and gave me a packet of papers to fill out, a bag of office supplies, and some Qualtrics swag. She spent about 30 minutes with me and then I had a meeting with my new boss (well one of them). He went over some stuff with me and gave me a list of things to do. I then met with the other two Executive Assistant's (E.A's from here on out) for about an hour as they showed me some stuff. I was then on my own.

I didn't feel all that great due to my ear infections, but I tried to make the best of it. I must admit, it was a little lonely being the newbie and I kind of felt like I was at a new school. I know good friends will come in time, it is just hard to be patient. Plus I work around 60 male engineers, so I have my work cut out for me ;). I also got bored. I am someone who needs lots to do, so I plan on creating projects for myself if I am not given enough work to keep me busy or asking around to see if others need help.

I can't say that my first day was filled with glitter and happiness, but I can say I feel like the company is going to be a great place to work and I really liked my boss... the other boss is out of town so we just talked over the phone, he seems cool too.

Anyway, here is a picture of my new swag:



You can also check out my up-dated profile on Linked In. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Nice shirt!!! Friends will come... and I am cracking up over the 60 male engineers! hahahahahaha I'm so happy for you and your new job I think you will love it and they will love you!

    ReplyDelete